Technical Architect (Front-End)
Nutmeg is Europe’s leading Digital Wealth Manager, but we don’t want to stop there! We’re in the middle of building a new scalable platform to help us achieve our mission of being the most trusted Digital Wealth Manager in the world.
We are now looking for a Front End focused Technical Architect to own the direction of the architecture for all our customer facing ‘touch-points’ and our mobile apps, byapps, by implementing best practice, and working day to day with our Front-End and Mobile Tech teams
Our Engineering Department, led by our CTPO, Matt Gatrell, is building out our new digital platform. The Team consists of over 70 Engineer's shared across different domain teams. Each engineer has access to a clearly defined Engineering progression ladder to allow them to plan out what they need to do to progress in their chosen career path.
We are migrating our front-end away from Ruby to React, building a microservice environment using Java 8/11, and moving away from Mesos/Marathon to Kubernetes. We are building new Restful API's, refactoring legacy code, and enabling our developers to create clear and clean pragmatic code. We've introduced Kafka, run our systems on AWS, and have built a DevOps team to provide our Engineers with the tools needed to obverse their domain. We have a brilliant Mobile team who maintain an iOS app that has upwards of 10,000 daily sessions, a crash rate of once every 3 months and an Android app that has 9000 monthly users so far, and a 0.026% session crash rate.
We are migrating our front-end away from Ruby to React, building a microservice environment using Java 8/11, and moving from Mesos/Marathon to Kubernetes. We also have an iOS app built in Swift 4, and an Android app built in Kotlin. We are building an in-house bespoke UI Design System (cross platform), for our FE clients. We are building new Restful API’s, refactoring legacy code, and enabling our developers to create clear and clean pragmatic code. We’ve introduced Kafka, run our systems on AWS, and have built a DevOps team to provide our Engineers with the tools needed to observe their domain. We have built a strong engineering foundation for knowledge sharing with several skill shares, guilds, and open discussions running every month.
What you’ll need to do:
- Your first task will be to help us plan and execute the move to multi-single page applications which will allow us more flexibility
- You will need to talk to lots of different stakeholders including Tech Leads, Product Managers and Senior Engineers, to collaboratively align on flexible/scalable technical/product solution
- Scope out a road-map to internationalise our platform
- You will work with one of the best Mobile Tech Leads in London to further develop the reach of our iOS and Android apps
- Be prepared to dive into our code base with an investigative mind to develop POC’s
- Present front-end application ideas to our Back-End Team, and work together to create the best-fit solution
- Defining and implementing the engineering strategy. You’ll be working with the leadership team to define technology direction influenced by the business strategy
- Assess the viability and value of new technologies and patterns, working to ensure we align with the business’s technical aims for scalability and growth
What we are looking for:
- Either experience architecting complex front-end specific solutions, or experience as a Senior Developer with strong theoretical knowledge of decomposing front-end applications
- Experience of working with APIs within a microservice environment
- Be able to understand the effect of your web application solutions on the back-end
- Someone who loves investigating new technologies/tools to continuously improve products
- Have worked with a release pipeline that adheres to the principles of Continuous Delivery
Nice to have:
- Experience working on mobile applications. Don’t worry if you haven’t as you will be working with our Mobile Tech Lead in London to bring you up to speed here!
- Exposure to UI design solutions
- Experience with B2B/white labelling solutions
- Worked in a regulated industry, particularly Financial Services
- Mitigated the scalability/maintainability problems of a legacy system
- Involved in the expansion of a product into multiple markets
- Be an active and vocal contributor to the web development community
- Worked with services/applications built on an Event Driven Architecture
- 25 days holiday
- Christmas Eve and NYE holiday
- Employee discounts on Nutmeg products
- 2 paid community leave days
- Private Healthcare and Life insurance from day 1
- Flexible working
- 4% employer pension contribution
and... your birthday off